What Makes a Great Nanny
A great Nanny also displays good judgment and is always conscious of your child’s safety. Now, we all know children are prone to minor scrapes and bruises, but a conscientious caregiver knows not to leave one child while tending to another, for example, and is competent and self-assured in an emergency.
As both an employee and a member of your family, the individual you hire should be committed to developing a working relationship with you. That means keeping you in the loop on everything that happens in your absence, from feedings to diaper changes, administering medications to jotting down funny things your child says. Open communication not only keeps you well informed, but assures you of your caregiver’s integrity while developing mutual respect.
Last but not least, you want to be sure that this individual will be able to form a lasting bond with your child (the Jane and Michael Banks factor). Is this person warm, caring, patient and compassionate? And, equally important, is he or she just plain fun? A great Nanny is both resourceful and creative, making an afternoon of entertainment with just egg cartons, glue and a pair of scissors. Children relish surprises, and a caregiver who shares that appreciation for discovery, whether it’s a treasure hunt or chalk art on the driveway, is sure to be loved.
So maybe magical nannies only exist in fiction. But, who knows? Armed with a little know-how, you may just find a Mary Poppins you can call your own.
10 Signs You’ve Hired a Great Childcare Professional
- They show a genuine interest in your whole family.
- Your child is excited to see them each day.
- Your child can’t wait to tell you about their activities together.
- You are comfortable having them in your home—they fit.
- Your child (and his or her room) is clean.
- Accidents are rare.
- They are reliable and always show up on time.
- They are open to feedback and easy to talk to.
- They go the extra mile.
- They communicate openly about what is going on with your child.
Talk to us about finding a Household Professional
Read about the duties of a nanny